Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bad luck with Type R

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay, I am so frustrated, I can do anything. I have had the worst luck with installing my Hondata and RC 440 injectors. I am staring to think there is something wrong with the Hondata unit. I have removed all of the JR components and installed the RC injectors and The Hondata Unit. Which by the way is an S200 and Computer unit from hondata. Everything is supposed to be ready to run my car, but with the Hondata plugged in I cant get the car to run. When I start it, it will rev and then die. If I try to hold a higher rpm (3000-4000) the revs jump up and down.???!!!?!?!?! When I plug in the factory comp it seems to idle okay, its a little rough, but I am guessing that is because of the 440 injectors. I cant get a good answer from anyone at Hondata, or anywhere for that matter. Also, with the factory comp If I try to hold the higher rpms everything seems fine, I can rev the car up and down wihtout any trouble. As one would expect, with the 440's and the factory comp the car is rich, but with the hondata the car is extremely lean. The wideband wont even register how lean because it stops at 20:1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Bring that car down to me Kevin... I can get you fixed up in a jiffy.
    I suggest you swap back to a set of stock injectors (use a set of OBD-1 injectors so you don't have to change the injector clips) along with your stock ECU and drive your baby down. I will send you home happy... I promise.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim, have no doubt that I plan on bringing the car down to you for some 'fine' tuning. However, at this point, the answers I am getting from hondata are that I have a problem somewhere. So my plan is to search it out. I am putting the stock ignition on it right now. I actually think it might be the NOSzles. Matt and I were talking and possibly the .5" the noszles move the injector back could be causing some puddling therefore causing the prob. Anyway, I should know something tonight. Basically I am working in reverse and putting the car closer and closer to stock. After the injectors I will be putting the stock throttle body back on. At any rate, I will keep you posted.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What basemap are you using ??? Do you have the ability to make changes to the MAP yourself ???

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have absolutely no ability to change anything except rev limits. I am supposed to have the JRSC Type R 11lb boost map. The one that made 260 something whp. I am starting to really question everything. I never had any luck with getting the AEM EMS to work, and now I am in a DejaVu nightmare. I keep talking to Matt at hondata and he keeps telling me to put stock stuff back on. Well, I have put the stock ignition, wires, fuel filter, fuel line, removed the NOSzles, and put back the stock throttle body. The car still wont run. I get better results with the stock computer, but the idle is rough. I may have ruined the plugs at this point. I am going to put the stock injectors in tomorrow and see what happens. I am about to just go buy some gunpowder. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] Anyway, I will let you know what happens. In the mean time, if you have any ideas....

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bring her to me...

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim, I would love to come down, but I have a snmall cash flow problem right now. I need to get paid more. anyway, with the new plugs installed, the car will now start up and idle. The idle is at around 800rpm and is kinda rough. I can also rev the car at this point. however, the car is still very lean. I checked the timming and it is 20+ with the distributor retarded all the way. This leads me to believe there is a problem within the computer. Does the hondata have any control over the initial timming? Also, another funny thing, does the hondata effect the warm up cycle on the car. The car usually starts up and idles high for a few minutes and then steps down to the correct idle, but now it just starts up and drops to 800rpm?

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Call me... I will help you... even if it is over the phone.

    CALL ME DAMNIT !!!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim, I was going to call you today, but got too busy at work. Anyway, I go the hondata back yesterday. So i put the 440's in with the stock ecu and like you said, 'pig rich' Like I was saying, the idle was rough, but it still went up to its warm up idle and I could rev the car and hold a higher rev. Then I put the hondata in and the rpm's go right to 800 and the fjo is showing major lean. Today when I got home I called up RC and jason the general manager wants me to send them back in. I explained the whole situation to him and he says there is a good possibility there is a problem with the injectors. I tried so hard to find a set of known good injectors around town, but amazingly no one has any??? I thought these things were popular. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] Anyway, thanks for your help on the phone. I hope to get an answer this week and get something scheduled with you for sometime in may. (April is kind of busy) Or whenever you have a group going to atl.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •